Sunday, February 3, 2013

Eat: Pumpkin Oat Pancakes

I have been craving pancakes for months. I don't know why because I'm not a pancake-aholic or anything. Normally, I could take 'em or leave 'em. But for many months, I've just been Jonesing for a warm, yummy pile of pancakes & syrup. But over those same many months, I've been holding to two starch servings a day so I wasn't inclined to give 'em both up on pancakes. Like I said, I'm not a pancake-aholic. But now that I'm trying to eat more (more details here), satisfying that craving became a possibility. Part of the challenge in beginning to eat more, along with worrying about exploding back to my former size, is ensuring that I continue to make really good choices nutrition wise and not just supplement my former regime with more calories spent on junk. So that, coupled with a heartsick longing for pumpkin spice lattes, sent me searching for a recipe that would offer pancakey, pumpkiny goodness that was healthy too. Hint: I added oats to my search strings to avoid fluffy white flour pancakes with a whisper of pumpkin. That led me to Caroline's recipe which I adapted to suit my own needs: different yogurt, more pumpkin, whole eggs, more oats... you get the idea. The result was a tastey, dense pancake, tangy from the Greek yogurt and not at all sweet. Next time, I think I might try grating an apple into the batter.



142g container of Greek yogurt, honey flavoured (vanilla would work too)
1/3 cup canned pumpkin puree
2 whole eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves
1 cup old-fashioned oats

Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. The batter will be thick. Spray your hot griddle with non-stick spray or olive oil mist. Drop batter onto griddle. Cook about 4 minutes/side, turning once.

I enjoyed with chopped pecans and maple syrup.

Serves 2, 3 pancakes each.

I plugged my ingredients in to LiveStrong and come out at 307 calories per serving but I encourage you to calculate your own version based on the brands & quantities you use.

1 comment: