Saturday, November 2, 2013

In Search of Sub-2 - May it be Epic

Hello faithful followers (all 5 of you)! It's been nearly 6 months since my last post. I thought I might be able to post tonight without any mention of the big gap... kind of like a teenager coming home past curfew but pretending everything is fine and not acknowledging the time... but fine, fine... yes, I've been busy compiling posts in my head but posting nothing. They were incredibly entertaining.

Here is the short version of the last 6 months: I completed that Half Ironman and it was epic. I volunteered at Ironman and it was epic. I participated in my first ever back country trail run as part of an ultra marathon relay team and it was... epic. 

The not so epic highlights: I tore my calf muscle in July and spent about 4-5 weeks off running, killing my plans for a fall marathon. I've put on a bit of weight... take it easy, we're talking 6 lbs or so over where I had settled, perhaps a little more since it is post-Halloween... and have re-engaged my trainer. And I ran the Victoria Half Marathon 3 weekends ago, hoping for a sub-2 hour time and, although I managed a PR, I was 4 minutes and 32 seconds too slow to claim the longed for sub-2.

So then what happened? 4 or 5 days later, while killing time (read: counting down the seconds) in my final wall sit of my workout, I got the bright idea that I could try for that sub-2 again at an upcoming half just a couple of weeks away. And with energy levels and blood sugar low, while making dinner, before I could really think through the idea, I registered.

So here we are. Tomorrow is race day. I've gone through the routine: drank way more water than I wanted, eaten a light pasta dinner, compiled a playlist, set up the Garmin, timing chip on my shoe, rummaged through my running clothes trying to land on what will look good in photos work best for the weather. I've got race night questions running through my head: To carry water or not to carry water? Tights or capris? Will it be clear & cold as the weather channel promises or warm & wet like it is now? Can I locate a time machine and undo all the crap I have eaten in the last 3 days in the event fun size chocolate bars are not ideal to deliver up a PR?

Will I get the sub-2? Good question. My coach says if I'm willing to suffer out there, I might pull it off. Will I at least PR? Another good question. The truth is: I'm tired, my knees hurt, and I feel fat. I feel like my belly is a pillowcase full of Halloween treats. I bought a couple of new songs on iTunes for my playlist, some Yurbuds, and new running threads, hoping to give myself a little energizing boost. But... I still feel very "meh" about tomorrow. Not nervous, just "meh". And that's not the attitude of someone who is pumped up, ready to suffer and fight their way to a sub-2. Hopefully by morning, I'll get there. A crisp, sunny day with no wind might help. So would that time machine.

But PR or no PR, sub-2 or not, tomorrow will be a good gauge of whether racing half marathons 3 weeks apart makes for good fun. Because the day after launching a plan to get a girls trip to Vegas next November to run the strip at night, the Rock'n'Roll Marathon peeps announced a Vancouver Half next year! In October. The runs are 3 weeks apart. Coincidence? I think not. Doesn't that sound... epic?

No comments:

Post a Comment