Sunday, April 7, 2013

Result: PR!

When last I left you dear readers, there was some dramatic "what happens next" music playing...

So where are we now with the goals?

1) Get my swim time for 2000m down to 50 minutes or less.
2) Get my body fat below 20%.
3) Improve my 5K time at each successive tri-club time trial (there are 3).
4) Reduce my waist @ the belly button measurement to 31".
5) Reduce my bicep measurement to 10".
6) Keep up with the back of the pack on tri-club group runs.
7) Find a race to aim for an age group top 3 finish.



Yes, I knocked another 1:13 (1:13!!) off of my 5K time.

To put this in perspective:

January 1, 2013: a 5K race with a PR for me of 31:30
January 13, 2013: the first 5K TT and a PR for me of 28:59
February 24, 2013: the second 5K TT and a PR for me of 26:50
April 7, 2013: today's 5K TT and another big PR of 25:37

That's almost 6 minutes off of a 5K in just 3 months. I am so happy with proud of these results.

Two things I did differently for today:

1) Normally I don't warm up or anything before a run, conserving every ounce of energy for the main event. But recall my post about my surprising brick run last month: Double Double. I ran such a good pace post-run that I thought Hmmm... what if I warm up the legs first? And so I parked my tush on the bike on the trainer and logged a sweaty 50 minute spin before heading out to the TT.

2) Just like I talked about in the previous post, I believed I could would beat the time. I didn't wonder. Or hope. I told myself I was going to. And on the run, whenever I started to doubt, I dismissed those thoughts and kept pushing.

To quote one of my new tri-club friends and an accomplished athlete: Don't Limit Yourself. New mantra, people. Words to live by.

No comments:

Post a Comment