Sunday, December 1, 2013

My Road to Challenge: Training Week 2 of 40



This week
Cumulative
Total training hours*
12:53
25:13
Swim
00:41 / 1500m
01:23 / 3 km
Bike
01:15 (spin  class + trainer time)
02:15 (spin class + trainer time)
Run
03:27 / 31.3 km
07:35 / 71.2 km
Strength training
03:00
06:00
Yoga
04:30
08:00
* Not including Daily Challenge reps

Yeah! Successfully made it through the second week of training – taking a rest day (ahhh!) and still increasing my training by half an hour over last week… more yoga, less running. My knees will thank me, even if the scale doesn’t!

This week, the training plan continued the call for unstructured workouts so my plan to keep on keeping on, with my running coach’s half marathon plan and my personal trainer’s recommended workout schedule, supplemented with a spin class and a trip to the pool. I love my Dream Team. I’m toying with the idea of hiring a tri coach, but also facing the reality of my finances and the fact that I’m a control freak. The jury is still out on this one. This is how week 2 shaped up – the gory details and the photo diary:

Monday
5 km run  
Weight workout at home
Daily Challenge reps
Tuesday
Tabata workout at home
7 km run (including hill repeats x 6)
Daily Challenge reps
Wednesday
Hatha Yoga Class
Tabata workout at home
Tri-Club Spin Class
Daily Challenge reps
Thursday
Rest Day!
Hatha/Core Flow Yoga Class
Daily Challenge reps
Friday
15 minute spin on the trainer
1 hour weight workout with my trainer
Hatha Flow Yoga Class
Daily Challenge reps
Saturday
13.3 km run – and with a friend!
Hatha Yoga Class
Daily Challenge reps
Sunday
6 km run
Daily Challenge reps (new for December)
1500m swim


A couple of things I want to camp on here…
  • ·         The Daily Challenge – I finished the November challenge without a single missed day: 100 push ups, 100 squats, 100 reverse crunch tuck-ups, 20 crunches, 20 bicycles, 10 hip raises. I was so proud and so glad when it ended. I was ready for a change and looking forward to December. Until I saw December’s challenge: 100 burpees (crossfit style), 200 seconds of planking, and 2 minutes of stillness. Burpees. Are you freaking kidding me? And it figures this is a month with 31 days!!
  • ·         It’s not a secret how I feel about swimming.  Or maybe this is your first time in these parts and you’re thinking… what? Read this. So today, I reluctantly headed to the frigid waters of the Maple Ridge pool to get my swim in. I had a bit of a wine detox going on and that didn’t help. Oh I got my swim in, and about 30 seconds faster than last week’s 1500m (whoo!) but there a few things I need to get off my chest: 
1)      Ridge Meadows Parks & Rec: would it kill you to turn up the heat a bit? Sometimes I’m not sure if I loathe the swim, or if I’m just dreading getting into the pool because the water is so damn cold. Why? Why? It doesn’t have to be this way.

2)      Why does length swimming sometimes mean one superhighway that has to be shared with the flutter-kick-board floaters and competitive swimmers? Why? I mean I suppose it’s great that there’s almost always lengths swimming at MR pool as opposed to Hyde Creek which gives you precious little to choose from and sometimes only an hour at a time… but really. If it says lengths swimming for 2 hours explicitly on the schedule, I’m expecting more than one double-wide lane roped off for everyone traveling up and down the pool. Lane rage. Hello.

3)      Fellas, this one is for you. I don’t understand the need to hang out on the ledge at the end of the lane in the deep end, standing side by side and offering up nothing but crotch to anyone hitting the end of the lane. I mean really, what’s the deal? You aren’t impressing anyone (I refer you to point number 1). And if I can swim 8 lengths and still be met by your crotch in the deep end, this no longer qualifies as a rest, you aren’t here to swim. Move along. Maybe go sit in the sauna with your buddies.


On to week three! J

No comments:

Post a Comment