Monday, February 2, 2015

Ironman Canada - 26 weeks out



IMC: 26 weeks to go (Jan 26-Feb 1)
Challenge: 26 weeks to go (Feb 17-23)
Total training hours
13:55
11:19
Swim
3:41 / 7200m
1:29 / 3100m
Bike
1:00 (15.6 km on the trainer)
2:47 (trainer time + spin class)
Run
7:24 / 68.4 km
3:33 / 33.88 km
Strength training
0:50
1:30
Yoga
1:00
2:00
SBR Total
12:05
7:49

So this last week I ran my ass off. With apologies to my knees, particularly my right one which is currently aching like the Dickens (whatever that means). When I logged in to workoutlog and saw the plan for last week, I was giddy with excitement… two long runs! Two! And two runs on Sunday! Two! This Gemini loves things in twos! And overuse of exclamation marks!

Monday, I suffered through one of those God-awful “nothing-at-all” rest days. Normally I can get away with a yoga class on a rest day but Coach said no. The first SFA day since the day after Deception Pass. So I was already “down” on my yoga quota… and then… recall in my last training week recap that I had alluded to not celebrating a happy balance of yoga and strength this week? So about that…

Tuesday morning, I had to work in my downtown office which meant commuting – and a need to do my swim closer to the office. Normally I’d hit Hillcrest but since the Hub was swimming too, we went to the pool nearest to his work: CG Brown. My first time… and last time. I may or may not  have had a temper tantrum that involved calling other people names (asshole to the man who kept stepping on my feet with his flippers), and ranting about the activity in the two medium lanes… water Tai-Chi (???) in the one I was swimming in, and some sort of backwards rumba in the adjacent lane.

I had four lanes to choose from:

  • the no-swimmer-would-ever-attempt-to-swim-there slow lane where people ride pool noodles like seahorses up and down the lane
  • the medium lane I was in with stompy-flipper-guy and Mr. Tai Chi that I could completely pass from his feet to a body length in front in 2 strokes. Two Strokes. 
  • a second medium lane with the backwards rumba dancing WTF are you doing “swimmer”
  • and then the fast lane with what looked to be Alexi of the Russian Olympic Swim Team, muscles bulging, powering up and down the lane. 
If I were to jump into the fast lane, I would be Mr. Water Tai Chi to that guy. And that wasn’t happening. Instead I ranted petulantly about the other swimmers, called the out-of-control-flipper guy a name and The Hub swam sheepishly away and pretended he didn’t know me. In my defence I had a pounding headache and my head was being squeezed inside my swim cap and goggle straps… Yeah, not much of a defence. I abandoned the 2500m workout 1050m in, knowing I’d have to start it all from the beginning later in the day. Knowing that would mean no time for strength or yoga. Punishment? Karma? I regret nothing.

But sidebar: what I wouldn’t give for a nice pool, with lane swimming all the time, where all you could do was actual swimming (no Tai Chi, rumba, pool noodle riding, etc), with pace guidelines for the lanes you’re in, and lifeguards who aren’t afraid to enforce them. I would drive out of my way and pay a premium for a drop-in swim at a facility like that.

So that was my training lowlight of the week… the highlight?  Hmmm… probably a toss-up between two (two!) successful snot-rockets blown on my very wet long run Sunday morning or the new GU I tried on that very same run. Not since Chocolate Raspberry Roctanes has a GU come along that is reason in and of itself to run long. Endorphin junkies, I introduce you to: Caramel Macchiato.

This is how the week played out:

Monday
SFA
Tuesday
1050m swim before work (Fail!)
4.8 km zone 1 run after work
2500m swim after my run (Making good on the morning’s swim assignment.)
Wednesday
2300m swim before work (about 9 hrs after the night before… too soon!)
7.3 km run after work             
Thursday
17.7 km run after work… best part of the day!
Friday
Strength circuit at home after work
“Bench press for cyclists” x 15 - trainer workout after my strength workout

Saturday
1350m PRM swim
13 km run
Sunday
Hatha Yoga Class
19 km run in the morning
6.7 km run before dinner
TRX push-ups & squats

No comments:

Post a Comment