Sunday, February 22, 2015

Ironman Canada - 23 weeks out


IMC: 23 weeks to go (Feb 16-22)
Challenge: 23 weeks to go (Mar 10-16)
Total training hours
9:12
15:21
Swim
3:05 / 6400m
2:55 / 5900m
Bike
1:05 (spin class)
7:45 (trainer + 60.5 km outside)
Run
3:02 / 28.9 km
2:21 / 25.2 km
Strength training

1:20
Yoga
2:00
1:00
SBR Total
7:12
13:01

So this week marked the first week of the taper. Two rest days on the schedule and you know what I did? I spun that into 3. Yes, I did so. Tuesday was track day and despite the fact that I loathe loooove track sessions, I skipped it. Did I need the extra day of rest or just want the extra day? We’ll never know. But I didn’t want to run at the track. And I didn’t want to do an easy run in the ‘hood either, despite the fact that it was a beautiful day. So I didn’t. The next day, feeling well rested and schmucky, I e-mailed Coach to ask if I could make up the track session. We had a little chat but the bottom line was no. Later he shared this photo on Facebook. Yup, I get it.

Wednesday night was Spin and if I’d had any lingering regrets about bailing on the track session, they quickly evaporated when Michelle treated us to a MAP workout. Yeah, had to stop drinking my water during the recovery spins because I was worried I was going to throw up on the hard efforts. Good times.

On my Friday morning swim, I had the good fortune to enjoy a lane to myself for the duration of my swim. Happy day. I focused on finishing my stroke, which I’d gotten chatter about from a couple of directions on the previous week’s Club swim. I think I did a good job of following through because by the end of the work day, my arms ached so badly, I could barely lift them. Swimming properly is hard work! And no, I wasn’t any faster as a result. Saturday morning’s Club swim was a bunch of hard effort stuff – and instructions to finish my stroke. Frack. My arms. My arms.

The complete and total absence of strength work… that’s a problem. I really need to set some intention there – but after I get back from Napa because jumping back into strength work is just not worth the injury risk so close to race day… maybe a little core work this week, but that’s it.

Comparing the two weeks, I got excited initially thinking I must be getting faster with my swim if 10 minutes of extra swim time translated to 500 extra metres in the pool… and then I got to the run line. [sigh]

This is how taper week one went:
Monday
Not a damn thing.
Tuesday
Yup, still nothing.
Wednesday
2300m swim before work
PRM Spin Class
Thursday
Hatha Flow Yoga Class
Friday
2200m swim before work
8.5 km run after work
Saturday
1900m PRM swim
8.4 km run
Hatha Flow Yoga Class
Sunday
12 km run



No comments:

Post a Comment