Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Ironman Canada - 19 weeks out


IMC: 19 weeks to go (Mar 16-22)
Challenge: 19 weeks to go (Apr 7-13)
Total training hours
8:29
16:50
Swim
3:07 / 6700m
4:24 / 8900m
Bike
1:26 / (trainer time)
4:04 / 97.9 km
Run
2:56 / 30.1 km
4:52 / 47.8 km
Strength training


Yoga
1:00
3:30
SBR Total
7:29
13:20

OK, I’ll admit it. Comparing my IMC 19-weeks out summary with my Challenge 19-weeks out summary makes me feel lots of things. None of them particularly positive. Swimming more. Riding more. Running more. Everything more. And for a gal who gets caught up in feeling less than, this causes me to panic slightly. How can I be doing half as much? Half! The logical, rational voice in my head is telling me that I’m recovering from a marathon and that at this point pre-Challenge I was ramping up for one, and that I was also coaching myself at this stage last time around and so some might argue, over-training that far out from race day. The problem is there is a much louder voice in my head yelling MOVE!!

This was an on-call week for me which always brings its own set of challenges: yoga & swim limitations, long runs to be kept close to home, no spin classes. I do what I can to make it work and this week, that included taking a half day off so that I could fit in my swim with some other personal appointments on Thursday afternoon… You know what they say…

This week also included a wee race. As I mentioned in mylast training week recap, while killing time at the Bellingham airport, waiting for our flight down to Cali for the Napa Valley Marathon, I’d applied to be one of the Scotiabank Half Marathon digital champions/event ambassadors. One of the perks that the ambassadors were to receive was a free entry into the Spring Run-Off. They had to delay making their final decision and given how close it was to race day for the Spring Run-Off, they offered everyone who applied free entry! Nice! And while they didn’t pick me, I was selected to participate in an online popularity contest for one of 5 more slots. Yeah. There are still a couple of hours left so if it isn’t yet midnight on March 31st and you want to cast a vote my way…  http://www.canadarunningseries.com/svhm/svhmDC-vote.htm

So the Spring Run-Off…  my 8K PB was 45:14 and I headed down with a goal of sub-42. And you know what? I finally broke the curse whereby I miss every time goal by the equivalent of 2s/km! Yes, finished with a 41:49. Whoo! The Hub had signed up to race as well leaving me paparazzi-less. His goal was sub-40 and he ran 40:12. OK, so I didn’t break the curse, I passed it on. Let him carry it for a while!
Post-race Selfie


Week 19 deets:

Monday
Hatha Yoga Class
Tuesday
2400m swim before work
7.5 km tempo run at lunch
Wednesday
1:26 on the trainer at home
Thursday
2300m swim
8.6 km run
Friday
Rest day
Saturday
2000m PRM swim
4.8 km treadmill run
Sunday
Modo Spring Run-Off 8K!

No comments:

Post a Comment