Thursday, March 12, 2015

Ironman Canada - 22 (and 21!) weeks out

I’m in catch-up mode so right now I bring you not one, but two, training week recaps on my IMC journey: weeks 22 and 21. And what’s interesting here, from part-way through week 20, is that someone had posted an update in the IMC Facebook group, rallying fellow racers with the sobering announcement: 20 weeks to go! And 20-weeks out from Challenge, I remember thinking “OMG it’s so close!” and yet this time around, it has still felt very far away. Maybe I am building on a better base? Maybe it’s because I started focusing on Challenge 40-weeks from race day so at 20 weeks, it was akin to crossing the halfway mark? Whatever the reason, this time around, it still feels a long way off. And I find that unnerving. In fact as I type this, I’m reminded that I said to the Hub today that his Fondo is 4 short months away, and I was going to break that down and tell him if he factored in tapering and recovery weeks, that’s only a dozen or so long rides… and it occurs to me now that IMC is just a couple of weeks later… Ah so maybe it is not too soon for me to commence with the worry, self doubt and panic!

So training recap…

IMC: 22 weeks to go (Feb 23-March 1)
Challenge: 22 weeks to go (Mar 17-23)
Total training (and racing!) hours
8:13
15:34
Swim
1:48 / 3800m
2:06 / 4200m
Bike

3:10 (spin class + trainer time)
Run
6:25 / 63.6 km
8:18 / 75.8 km
Strength training

2:00
Yoga


SBR Total
8:13
13:34

This week was all about the marathon… a couple of swims, some short runs, including one in California the morning before the race, and then the main event. You can read about it here.

Here are the deets:
Monday
1800m swim before bed (And I struggled through every bit of it.)
Tuesday
8.5 km run
Wednesday
2000m swim before work
Thursday
6.2 km run
Friday
Rest & travel day
Saturday
6.3 km California run
Sunday

... And then...


IMC: 21 weeks to go (Mar 2-8)
Challenge: 21 weeks to go (Mar 24-30)
Total training hours
9:41
17:58
Swim
1:56 / 3450m
2:55 / 6150m
Bike
7:01 / 141.6 km
6:35 (spin class + trainer time)
Run
0:44 / ~7 km (Garmin malfunction)
5:23 / 50.8 km
Strength training

1:35
Yoga

1:30
SBR Total
9:41
14:53

The following week continued to be all about the marathon, or more specifically, recovering from it. Coach gave me 3 rest days in a row. I’d warned him that I intended to do some easy riding checking out the wineries post-marathon – thinking of a short cruiser/hybrid ride. But that’s not really my style is it?

Instead, the Hub and I rented a couple of road bikes at the CalistogaBikeshop and headed out for a great day of riding in the sunshine, taking in some beautiful sights. The guys at the bike shop were great: got us outfitted quickly, reminded us to pack some fuel, and recommended a route. While the 86km ride with a 10 km climb might not have been an ideal post-marathon recovery activity, it was a fantastic ride and I regret nothing! ...OK, I maybe regret not bringing my own bike shoes and pedals and ...some warmer clothes as it was chilly in the shade and on the descents... and more than one Clif bar.

And speaking of the Clif bar people... they have a Napa winery. That's right, they do. In a funky little shop with cycling memorabilia and friendly staff that will indulge you in all the triathlon, cycling, and running conversation you care to engage in. We visited this place the day after the marathon. Good times.

This is how marathon recovery week looked:
Monday
Nothing but some winery visits & tastings!
Tuesday
86 km California ride!
Wednesday
Rest & travel day
Thursday
1 hour easy spin on trainer after work (House of Cards!)
Friday
2000m swim before work
Saturday
1450m PRM swim
7 km run post-swim
Sunday
41.9 km easy ride in the sunshine

Seriously... how could we leave here without doing a ride like this?



No comments:

Post a Comment